It may seem difficult to find the best drill press for woodworking that is not just sturdy but tough enough for your project. Be glad, you are reading the right review right now. The drills reviewed below can penetrate wooden objects that are thick or delicate, with the perfect precision to avoid damaging them. I researched and came up with the best woodworking drill presses out there complete with pros and cons. If you need a drill press that is comfortable, quick and easy enough then you should check out the included features below so you can pick the best drill press for woodworking.
Best Drill Press For Woodworking
1. Grizzly G7943 Heavy-Duty Drill Press
This drill doesn’t just come packed with features, it gives you rest of mind that comes with being able to count on a reliable machine with industrial grade efficiency. I found that it has an included light which was added to make your work more visible and easier to finish. The collar size is 2.595 inches and the cast iron table is precise. The table can swing 360 degrees and tilt ninety degrees left & right. The total height of this best drill press for woodworking is 38 inches and the package weighs 154 pounds.
- It is dependable and has a wide array of industrial grade features to ensure the success of your work.
- It has a built-in light to illuminate your project properly and ensure that you do not miss any vital part of your work because of poor lighting conditions.
- The motor is ¾ horsepower 110 volts and single-phase too which grants you adequate kick to use for your projects for as long as you can take.
- It has a swing of 14 inches and the drill chuck is 1/64 inches & ⅝ inches.
- It possesses no holes you can use to mount items and its T slot channels may be unevenly milled.
- Its 3 plunge handles may be too long depending on your accessory table but you can shorten them.
2. Delta 18-900L Drill Press
This best drill press for woodworking has micro adjusted depth stops as well as independent depth scale that assists you in zeroing the scale then setting up for continuous drilling in a matter of seconds. I observed that it has an LED light that illuminates your work surface for better visibility, and its non-tip base made from cast iron gives you maximum stability. This 18 inch drill comes with a five-year warranty, oversized table plus a manual.
- It has a belt drive system which is auto tensioning and lets you change speeds easily while maintaining transmission effectiveness.
- It has a complete six inch quill stroke which allows you do deeper drilling applications even surpassing its counterparts out there.
- It has a depth stop that is micro adjustable plus an independent depth scale which lets you zero its scale then set it up for easy and quick continuous drilling.
- Its twin laser that can be adjusted points a red crosshair on your work item at the exact point of contact with the bit which saves you from having to guess then making avoidable mistakes.
- The drive of this best drill press for woodworking may break bits if you clamp down too hard.
- There is a little runout which is not really noticeable but can be fixed by removing then cleaning and reinstalling its chuck assembly.
3. SKIL 3320-01 Drill Press
This is a ten inch quality bench top drill with a 3.2 amp motor as well as a laserX2 system. I noticed that it has a depth adjustment system and variable speed of 570-3,050 RPM that gives you the freedom to be able to choose which one is suitable for your projects at the moment. It has a 0-45 degrees both left and right work surface that tilts and has a base and work table made from cast iron. It comes with two AA batteries plus a chuck key.
- It has a half inch keyed chuck plus bump off switch that gives you extra safety.
- Its depth stop can be adjusted for precise measurements plus repetitive drilling.
- It has a zero to forty-five degrees left and right tiltable work surface that ensures that your work is clean and accurately done.
- This best drill press for woodworking has an X2 two-beam laser that ensures precise hole alignment.
- The motor can get quite hot after running for a long time after some years of usage.
4. HICO Drill Press
This 13-inch press is an ideal addition to your workshop or home. Its efficient 2/3 HP motor plus 12 speed gearbox gives you excellent performance. It has a forty-five degree bevel both right & left plus a 3-⅕ inch spindle travel which makes it not just convenient but also practical. I fancy the rack & pinion table with height adjustment as well as the safety switch that prevents accidental starting. It is designed for accurate and repeated cutting in materials like wood, plastic, and even metal.
- The motor of this best drill press for woodworking is 120 volt, 60Hz, 500 watt in total. The drilling capacity is 16 millimeters/3/5 inches.
- The spindle can travel 80 millimeters/3-⅕ inches and it has a MT2 spindle taper.
- It has a column diameter of 70 millimeters/2-¾ inches, spindle speed of 210~2220rpm plus 12 speeds.
- It has a swing of 338 millimeters/13inches, a work table of 250 millimeters/10 inches, base of 250 x 434 millimeters/10 inch x 17 inch and complete height of 990 millimeters/39 inches.
- Apparently, you would have to possess some knowledge of assembly because there’s no manual.
5. NOVA 58000 Drill Press
This eighteen-inch press is actually the world’s first smart press that has mastered the art of combining superior features of presses plus their superb technology just to make your work fun and safer. It is versatile and can easily drill through wood, glass, metal and plastics and glass as it is a cross-functional unit. I was drawn to the unique DVR application of this best drill press for woodworking which is designed to use different sensors to give you preventive and safety maintenance settings.
- The electronic control has a micro-processor which constantly monitors its motor plus environmental conditions and then adjusts the power to suit.
- It has a 50-5500rpm speed, eighteen inch swing, nine incg from spindle center to its column, six inch quill stroke as well as a 2MT quill taper.
- It has mechanical depth stop as well as digital quill depth readout. It also has digital speed readout plus control and a dial knob which is used for accurate speed adjustment.
- This woodworking drill press possesses precision machining and tight tolerances. The great bearings plus split head casings give you an effective bedrock of accuracy.
- When you combine the intelligent monitoring plus control of torque and power, the accuracy is second to none.
- It has a 16 ½ x inch x 6 ½ inch table made from cast iron constructed for woodworking plus amazing software like automatic pilot hole feature, intelligent speed action, a tapping assist setting, electronic braking, self start and load readout.
- The speed dial plus the screen is really easy to use but it would have been better with a bigger screen.
6. Jet JDP-17 Drill Press
This 17 inch drill press has a total five inch of spindle travel. The strong cast iron head plus a poly v-belt drive feature ensures that its performance impresses you. I took notice of the long-lasting, LED work light which was built in to give you direct lighting on your work while minimizing shadows. The spacious 14 x 19 inch work table gives you ample support plus an edge made for easy clamping.
- The spindle travels a complete five inched with one turn of its handle.
- This woodworking drill press has a big 14 x 19 inches precision work table that has dual T-slot grooves plus four table slots that can accommodate any job.
- Its belt tensioning which is one handed lets you rapidly change speeds.
- It has a power switch that comes with a safety key plus a big off button-paddle style. The depth stop ensures that repetitive operations are quick and easy.
- Before you install its chuck & taper, you have to thoroughly clean every mating surfaces with acetone or even alcohol and this is necessary to reduce runout.
7. Shop Fox W1668 Oscillating Drill Press
This drill gives you a wide assortment of features that can suit your every need down from mini hobby shops up to expert machine shops. I admire the special oscillating models that give you the convenience of dual units in less space. This woodworking drill press gives you unmatched skill. For the perfect selection of performance and features, this drill will not let you down.
- The motor is 3/4 HP plus 110 volts and 1,725 RPM with spindle speeds of 250-3050 RPM.
- The drill chuck is ⅝ inches and the spindle travel is 3-¼ inches.
- The swing is 13-¼ inches and has a three piece drum kit plus spindle sander.
- It has a mandrel plus eighty grit sanding paper which lets it fit the one inch, 1-1/2-Inch plus two inch drums.
- The cap screw for its chuck may not be included but a fast trip to your nearby hardware store can solve that.
8. WEN 4214 Drill Press
This is a 12-inch swing woodworking drill press that possesses a laser centering feature which comes together to become a mighty powerhouse for your workshop. I like the fact that it is stacked with features which you will usually find in bigger and more industrial presses. This cast iron, bench top press possesses the strength to drill right through wood, metal as well as other materials. The total capacity of the drill is 5/8” in one inch thick cast iron. Its variable speed setting lets you target the same speed from 580-3200 RPM for your project and while you are operating, you just move its lever and change the speed as required. There are no belts or pulleys that you need to change.
- This design makes use of a mechanical variable speed that gives you similar power plus torque through its total speed range.
- This drill has a digital readout which is powered by LEDs and displays the speed at which you are running it. It is made with a strong frame designed with cast iron. It’s base, head, and table ensures accurate holes.
- It has an efficient induction motor with ball bearings which give it extended life and combined to give you smooth and balanced operation at high speeds.
- It has a ⅝ inch chuck and an MT2 spindle taper that grants you versatility when making use of a variety of bits. It has an inbuilt chuck key storage which makes finding it easier for you.
- The worktable can bevel forty-five degrees left & right especially for those difficult operations. It gives you the ideal right angles you need every time. The base of the drill has pre-installed holes used for mounting onto your bench or your work stand.
- This woodworking drill press has a slotted table that lets you mount clamps & vises which guarantee effective mounting.
- This drill has an X-pattern laser that locks right on to the required drill points which spares you guesswork and expensive materials.
- This is a valuable and versatile tool for your workshop which allows you to upgrade its wide array of use by adding optional accessories like circle cutters, drum sanders, and mortising attachments.
- There is no spindle lock on this drill and you can either try to do without it or include it.
The above woodworking drill presses have features that would be of great benefit to you when you are carving wood and it will also give you comfort during the lengthy jobs that you will be working on.